Monday 23 November 2009

Great food that just happens (by cunning design) to have no gluten in it.


Today is my birthday. As special treat I let myself test a recipe before I did anything else on my very long ToDo list.

I need something to eat with soup or salad, so thought a cheese muffin with a crunch topping, that could be kept in the freezer until needed, would be good.

Cheese Muffins 
Makes about 9 large muffins.

Ingredients:

Flours – I used this mix to give colour, flavour, cohesion and moistness

1/2 cup polenta

1/2 cup urid lentil flour

1/4 cup almond flour

1/4 cup tapioca flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 cup oil

2 eggs, slightly beaten

about 3/4 cup milk – to give sloppy batter

1 cup grated Parmesan (using microplane grater so very fluffy – do to taste)

1/8 tsp mustard powder

1/8 tsp hot paprika use more if you want to notice the flavour

Topping:

1/4 cup pumpkin seed

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Preparation:

Sift together dry ingredients including cheese. Mix in egg and oil and add milk until you get sloppy batter. Don’t worry about the usual ‘be careful not to over-mix stuff’. This doesn't matter if you have flours with no gluten in.

Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with seed and cheese topping. Bake in 180° C. oven (170 for fan) for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Eat fresh or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments