Saturday 25 December 2010

Baked spring rolls




I have some packets of Rice Flour Pancakes for spring rolls by Blue Dragon.  I never deep fry anything, not knowing what to do with the oil afterwards, so have tried these uncooked and shallow fried.  I don't think much of them as uncooked wraps, and found that shallow frying them tended to make them fall apart.  Today I tried brushing them with a little oil and baking them.

I filled them with some shredded cooked turkey, slivers of ginger and bamboo shoot, garlic and some chili jam.  I then placed them on a greased baking sheet and baked them for fifteen minutes.  They held together very well, but the underneath surface was crisper than the top surface.  Next time I would turn them over half way through to improve the texture.

These are slightly fiddly to make as you have to dunk each pancake in hot water for twenty seconds before placing on a wet cloth, filling and folding.  However, all of these stages could be done ahead of time.  This would make them suitable for an occasion where you had guests and you weren't sure what time they would arrive.  If they were already on a baking sheet you could pop them in a hot oven when people arrived, and you could serve hot spring rolls with a spicy dipping sauce twenty minutes later.

We had these as a light and amusing Christmas lunch with a glass of champagne, and a rocket and red pepper salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments