Thursday 30 December 2010

Easy Oreo-style gluten-free cookies



The grandchildren really like Oreo cookies but can't have them here so that I can keep well.  These giant chocolate cookies are crisp and chocolaty and easy to make.  Either fill them with icing - I use the white chocolate icing I used for the wedding cupcakes, or ice cream, or just eat them plain.


I started by looking at lots of recipes.  Mostly them seemed to say take a chocolate cake mix and turn it into cookies.  I tried finding one in grams rather than cups but couldn't.  I based my recipe on this one -  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/oreo-cookies-recipe/index.html


Ingredients:
65g flour (40%urid lentil, 40% tapioca, 20% cornmeal)
20g cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
65g sugar
25g butter
egg to mix to dough (this took less than one egg - I was making a small batch to test)




Mix all ingredients except egg - either by hand or in food processor.  Slowly add egg until you get a firm dough that is easy to handle.  The original recipe calls for lots of cooling and resting the dough, but I just baked these straight away.  I did keep one blob of dough and put it in the freezer.  I'll see how it bakes from frozen some other time.


Take the dough and shape into pieces.  I pressed these down and put  a fork mark in the top as I wanted to find out if they would hold an impression.  The cookies spread the way ginger snaps do, so don't try to do anything fancy and leave plenty of room for spreading.  This might have changed if I had chilled or rested the dough.


fork marks on raw cookie
cookies on baking sheet
Bake at 170C fan for about 7 minutes.  Leave on the sheet to cool for a few minutes so that they begin to harden before transferring to a cooling rack.


cookie on cooling rack
These cookies are mostly crisp but with just a hint of chewiness.  The flavour is rich and chocolaty without being bitter.


cookies sandwiched with white chocolate icing

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments