Tuesday 5 June 2012

Samphire tempura with fish and spicy sauce


Spotted some samphire in the supermarket so bought some on a whim.  Looked at a few recipes, and was tempted by some aspects of this recipe.  It is based around crab and has a many step recipe, but I took a few key aspects from it to make a quick and easy supper.

I made a chili sauce by frying two fat cloves of garlic with some chopped chili and chopped rosemary, stirred in a heaped teaspoon of caramelised onion marmalade I had been given for a present, the zest and juice of a left over quarter of a lemon,  half a teaspoon of ketchup and some water.  I cooked this just to bring all the flavours together and blitzed it smooth.



Tempura samphire
700g samphire, rinsed
50g rice flour
cold water

Mix the rice flour and cold water together together to make a slurry - the recipe says the consistency of double cream.  I just made it thick enough that it lightly coated the samphire.

I used a small heavy-bottomed stainless steel pan to cook these in rather than getting my deep fryer out for such a small quantity of food.  I put about 1cm of vegetable oil in the pan and heated until a blob of batter dropped in fizzed and cooked quickly but didn't burn.

Put a few pieces of samphire into the batter, then lift each one out and place carefully in the hot oil.  Tongs make this task easy. I found they worked best when each strand was put in separately - it cooked quicker, looked nicer and made a more crunchy cooked product.  Take the samphire out of the oil when the batter begins to go golden.  Place on kitchen paper to drain.  Repeat until all the samphire is cooked.  I recommend wearing a long sleeved garment to protect your arms as the oil will spit when you put the wet samphire in.

I served this with fish (salmon and haddock depending on preference) which only took 3 minutes in the microwave each from frozen, baked potato, sliced tomato and the chili sauce.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really loving the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A couple of my blog readers have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any tips to help fix this problem?
    My weblog - make spicy mayo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the complement. I haven't had any comments yet...but that doesn't mean there aren't problems as I havent done any compatibility tests.

      Delete
    2. just had a look at your blog - it is much more complicated than mune. I meant to try videos but apart from a completely rubbish test ages ago haven't done any, and I thought about adding shopping links, but haven't. Do people buy ingredeints through your links? It's an excellent idea as my main flour ingredients aren't usually available in normal shops.

      Delete

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments